Mr. Rufus Lafayette Moss Sr. of Athens built several structures in Tallulah Falls in the late 19th century, including the Cliff House Hotel and this family home known at the time as Pine Terrace. Located just south of the train depot, it escaped the Great Fire of 1921. This home remained in the Moss family from 1879 until 1981 when it was sold to a developer. In recent years, it housed Isabelle’s Restaurant, and was recently purchased by Dan A. Hayes. Mr. Hayes is currently in the process of restoring the Moss House and is hoping to have it and the Moss legacy preserved for future generations.
Pictured here is the porch at the Cliff House Hotel that was built by Mr. Moss on the edge of the gorge. Many visitors to Tallulah Falls would often stay the entire summer season once they arrived and the Cliff House was a popular place to stay.